Stepping inside The Tavern Co is like stepping back in time into a cosy, old-style American diner. Decked out in rock and roll memorabilia, guitars, saxophones and American street signs adorn the walls. The Tiffany light fittings emit a warm glow, creating a lowly lit, laid back atmosphere, and the music (everything from Elvis to The Beach Boys to Pulp) plays comfortably in the background – loud enough for you to appreciate it, but not so noisy it interferes with your conversation.
It’s got to be said that The Tavern is a bit of a Liverpool institution. This restaurant has been around for years and it only seems to have grown steadily in popularity in that time. It’s a huge expanse of a place which makes it even more remarkable that, by around 8:30am no matter what day of the week, you’ll almost definitely find yourself queuing for a table. And that can only be a good sign, right?
When to visit The Tavern Co.
The Tavern is open all day, every day from 7am right through until 11pm Sunday – Thursday, and midnight on a Friday and Saturday. Not that I’ve ever been there in the evening, mind you. For me (and judging by the queues, for many others too!), the Tavern is all about the breakfast menu, served everyday between 7am – 2:30pm. It’s a breakfast so good, it’s actually been voted The Nation’s Best Breakfast on two occasions!
Customer Service in The Tavern Co.
From the moment you step in through the door to the moment you leave, staff are always just the right amount of attentive. You’ll be led to your table, provided with a menu, and almost straight away you’ll be offered the choice of a piping hot tea or coffee. Staff are approachable and helpful and always willing to give you a bit more time if you need it. You’re made to feel as relaxed as possible and no matter how busy the place gets, you never feel pressurised to leave.
The Breakfast Menu at The Tavern Co and what to order
Despite visiting for breakfast on countless occasions, I’ve still not managed to work my way through every item on the breakfast menu. The selection is huge and varied and every option just sounds so delicious. Yes, I have my personal favourites (The Boston Bagel – that crispy bacon and cream cheese combo is just utter perfection!) but I’m yet to have a breakfast that I haven’t thoroughly enjoyed.
And let’s talk desserts shall we?! Oh yes, it’s perfectly acceptable to order a breakfast dessert in The Tavern. I’d almost go so far as to say you’re hugely missing out if you don’t! I always used to struggle to choose between the sweet and savoury options on the menu so now I just save myself the trouble and order both.
So, what is my breakfast dessert of choice? The big, fat, fluffy American Style Pancakes are mouth wateringly good. For me in particular, it’s got to be the newest addition to the menu, the Snickerdoodle Pancakes – a winning combo of peanut butter, chocolate ganache, crushed nuts and whipped cream. Need I say more?! But if for some reason that doesn’t set your salivary glands on overdrive, there’s the option of Chocolate Choros, or if you really want to break the breakfast mould, you can order some ice cream!
Something from the bar?
Just in case you were wondering, there’s no danger of you getting thirsty whilst you’re busy packing away all that food. Staff continuously circle round the restaurant with hot pots of tea and coffee, ready to offer you free re-fills as soon as you set your empty cup back in its saucer. I also recommend a glass of the refreshingly tangy freshly squeezed orange juice or, if you fancy something a little stronger, there are a selection of breakfast cocktails on offer too.
The Best Breakfast in Liverpool?
The Tavern has the reputation of serving the best breakfast in Liverpool and it’s not hard to understand why. It’s stood the test of time as being one of the longest serving independent restaurants outside of the city centre and its popularity shows no sign of waning. The only issue I have with The Tavern is choosing what to have is no easy task! But whatever you go for, you can pretty much guarantee you’ll leave happy, full and looking forward to your next visit.
Tips for Visiting The Tavern Co
- Arrive early! Queues are known to start building up from around 8:30am. You can grab a drink whilst you wait but it’s worth bearing in mind you could be waiting anything from 10 – 50 minutes for a table.
- Definitely consider getting a breakfast dessert…even if you have to share the desert with your dining partner because you’re too full. You won’t regret it, I promise!
- Yes, there are vegan and vegetarian options too!
- Look out for the little electric train that runs around the perimeter of the restaurant. It should come tootling past a few times whilst you tuck into your breakfast!
- Coming by bus? It’s easy enough from the city centre. Jump on the number 86 and ask to get off at the end of Smithdown Road, closest to The Tavern.
- If you come by car, you can park in one of the streets surrounding The Tavern. Alternatively, park in the carpark that belongs to the shops off Church Road (turn left off Church Road at The Richmond Pub). To avoid a fine, make sure you park in the shop carpark NOT the pub car park. Walk through the passageway at the side of Iceland and turn left onto Smithdown Road. The Tavern is about a minute walk away.
- Walk off your breakfast and take some time to explore Penny Lane, Allerton Road and Smithdown Road. There are some little gift shops and charity shops and, if you have any room for more food and drink, there are lots of bars and pubs too!